Saturday, November 15, 2008

Well It's Happened Again....

Last night I bumped into a photographer I had not seen in a while. He was proudly, and rightfully sho, showing off his new Nikon Dxxx (the model is not important to this discussion). He told me had it only a couple of weeks, and was really enjoying using it. He pointed out how easy it was to shoot night sports events, as the unit did high ISO with ease.

So I asked him about a particular feature, and all I got was a blank look. Yup, truly a blank look. So for the second time in two weeks, I asked a photographer about his camera and I got the old blank look for an answer.

So here we have two of the best local photographers, both masters in the craft, and they are now using equipment they did not totally understand.

Pardon me, but this totally blows my mind.

Seriously - guys:  RTFM. PLEASE !!!

For the rest of us: RTM. (Expletive deleted). Please.

Thats right. Make a cup of joe, find a cozy nook, put the camera on your lap and read it. If even only for 15 minutes. Skim it if you dont have time to study it, but at least hit the highlights.

Then go out and shoot. Anything, the lawn, the neighbors cat, your 18 year old roommate, anything. And come back in and read the book some more. 

So when I bump into you, and you proudly point to your new camera, you can tell me all about it, and I know my work has been done!

No comments: