Saturday, November 15, 2008

High ISO - My Thoughts

A connundrum exists here in the digital photography world. 

As photographers, we yelled and screamed at camera manufacturers to give us higher and higher ISO's with lower and lower noise so we could shoot in darker and darker situations.

Well, we pretty much have that now. Indeed the current and upcoming crop of cameras have tremendous ability to shoot in low light with great results.

The connundrum is that photodog's everywhere now do not know how to us high ISO to their advantage. Not just amateur photographers, but many, many, and did I say many, professional photographers.

I was shooting football, at night, recently and one of the guys was commenting about how nice it was to shoot tonight's game at 6400 ISO. I was incredulous. The light at this field is gorgeous and you truly need no more than 1600 ISO to get great action stopping, sharp photos. I have cranked my Nikon D300 to 2000 and 2500 at this field and they photos are fine, but here it is - the Joe Brown Theorum on High ISO:

LESS IS MORE.

That is it. LESS IS MORE.

If you can get away with a lower ISO, then do so. 

You will, in general be MUCH happier with your photos than cranking it up to a high ISO just because you can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joe, great subject. I struggle with this ISO crap all the time. I recently found a great program that helps me get rid of that crappy noise. I use it with CS3. The program is located herehttp://www.imagenomic.com/. I love the program because it really helps clean up the noise. Keep up the good work buddy